Wednesday, March 3, 2021

#1: Introduction-Chapter 3

Just Mercy

This is my very first blog post. I'm currently reading the book Just Mercy by Bryan Stevenson and I'm going to be blogging about my thoughts about it. From what I've read, this book will take you through "a story of justice and redemption," engaging you as if you were really in these convicts shoes. Its grasps onto the racism in the justice department and sheds a light on the real world previous misconvictions of people from different races. 
Going into this, and researching a bit more about the book before I actually started reading it, I started to doubt that I'd even like it. As of right now I've read through chapter three and I really misjudged it. I became quickly captivated and wanted to read more. Even in the introduction with just the background knowledge of Bryan Stevenson was interesting to read. Just reading the short amount I did reminded me of how much I love to read. 
In the introduction we get introduced to Bryan Stevenson, the author who documented what he went through. He studied philosophy in college and went on to Harvard Law School after graduation. He described how he wasn't so sure about law school and the intimidation he felt being there. While reading this I was surprised that he made it into Harvard Law, one of the most prestigious law schools, but didn't really know if he wanted to be there at all. However, as it went on he discovered who wanted to represent and try to help. 
Just Mercy: Sentenced to death for a murder he didn't commit - the true  story behind gripping drama | Ents & Arts News | Sky News
Walter McMillian

In Stevenson's late twenties, he met Walter McMillian in Alabama, where "nearly 100 a hundred people were on death row(21)." He was put on death row for a false claim made against him. While Stevenson wrote of the events leading up to death row, he kept it intriguing with the way he flat out stated his mind. He told the truth and directly pointed out the racial flaws put against McMillian. As he was moved from place to place racial slurs were used against McMillian and the hostility towards him was extraordinary. Some of the cops may not have known him and just saw him like everyone else on death row, a murderer; yet, the police that had known the case, such as officer Tate, were still horribly cruel when he knew there was no real evidence for his arrest. I found it astonishing that officer Tate was putting in all the effort into finding any evidence that McMillian was guilty rather than putting his time into finding the true murderer. This reminds me of when I watched the documentary about Ted Bundy's case. When he was in trial, he kept saying how the judicial system will find one person and do everything they can to prove them guilty. Obviously in that case he did end being the serial killer; however, the point was he could have been right. It brought be back to this where maybe some of those a hundred people on death row where just chosen and what Stevenson is trying to say it that it was because of McMillians race that he was one of them. I was astonished when he was put into prison when he had an alibi and then Myer's admitted to lying and making up the whole story against him. This where you can see Stevenson was proving it was more about his race. 
I'm excited to read more of the book and learn more of the story of Walter McMillian. 

Works Cited

Peplow, Gemma. "Just Mercy." SkyNews, 4 Oct. 2020, news.sky.com/story/just-mercy-the-true-story-behind-powerful-death-row-drama-11913545. Accessed 3 Mar. 2021.

Stevenson, Bryan. Just Mercy: A Story of Justice and Redemption. New York, Spiegel & Grau, 2014.

8 comments:

  1. Hi Ashlee!

    I recently began reading "Just Mercy" by Bryan Stevenson as well, and I have really been enjoying it. I am glad to hear you have been liking it too! I was very impressed with your first blog post. I felt like you captured many very important events in the first few chapters in your post. I was intrigued when you discussed Ted Bundy's case, because I completely agree with what you said - "the judicial system will find one person and do everything they can to prove them guilty". You connected Walter's case and Ted's case in a way that I didn't expect! I am glad you brought that point up because it could definitely turn into a large conversation. I also think it was an organized and put together post. In a few places the background blended into the words though, so it did make it a bit hard to read. But I thought the background really set the mood for the post. I can't wait to see what else you come up with as we progress through "Just Mercy"!

    -Cailey :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cailey! It's good to hear you like the book as well. I thought of the Ted Bundy case and I agree with you that it could definitely turn into a bigger conversation as well. I think it'd be interesting to go further into other cases with the same problems occurring in the system. Also, thank you for the feedback on the background, I changed it so it shouldn't blend anymore.

      Delete
  2. Hi Ashlee! I liked your first blog post! I enjoyed reading your thoughts on the first chapters, and how you thought the officer was crazy for not finding the real murderer and just trying to prove McMillion was guilty. I find that interesting that the officer had no other thoughts besides the fact that he wanted to be right, and send him to death row for a crime he did not commit. I also saw a documentary on Ted Bundy's case! Isn't it weird that he was right about the system even though he did end up being the murderer! Overall, this book seems intriguing, and from your thoughts on the first couple chapters, it makes me kind of want to read the book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Annie! Thank you for your thoughts back on what I've written about. And I know, I thought it was insane how the Ted Bundy documentary related to this book showing the gaps in the corrupt judicial system. I can't wait to read more of the book and I'll have updates on the next chapters!

      Delete
  3. Ashlee, I appreciate your reactions to the reading, including your comparison to Ted Bundy.

    I'd suggest a different background though, as this is a little hard to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and I just changed the background so the words don't get lost in the background.

      Delete
  4. Hi Ashlee!

    I'm glad you are enjoying the book "Just Mercy" so far! From what I've read in your post it definitely seems like an interesting and intriguing piece of literature. I really like your comparison to Ted Bundy and I agree that sometimes the police get the wrong guy even though they think it's the right one. I love watching crime shows like Criminal Minds and I think that it truly pertains to your comparison because there are many instances in the show where the FBI follows the evidence trail, along with a profile of the killer and they end up arresting the wrong person. I think that it is very shocking how our justice system is manipulated around the concept of race and skin color. It really makes you wonder how just the system really is, doesn't it? I'm really excited to see your thoughts as you progress through the book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Ashlee,
    I really enjoyed your blog about the introduction of this book. Your excitement about it made me also excited about it! I liked how honest you were about not thinking it was something that would interest you. Racism in our country is a tough subject to get excited about reading stories about. I have a tough time understanding why this has gone on for so long. I can’t believe how poorly people are treated in our justice system just based on their race. McMillian actually had a solid alibi but they still sentenced him based on the color of his skin! I share in your astonishment and your blog made me want to see where the book would take me.
    Thank you!
    -Sincerely, Kate

    ReplyDelete

#5: Relevance/Final Thoughts: Chapter 13-Chapter 16

 Just Mercy Welcome back readers! I've finally finished reading the book and I loved it. Unfortunately this means this is my last blog p...